periOperative Registered Nurses Association Of South Central Ontario
ORNASCO is an organized group of perioperative registered nurses who are employed in the South Central Ontario region and work together to advance the profession of perioperative nursing practice.
ORNASCO Membership consists of:
- Active Members: Perioperative Registered Nurses who are actively employed in perioperative nursing, education or administration in the South Central Ontario region.
- Associate Members: Registered Nurses who are employed in other hospital disciplines related to the perioperative setting such as Post Anaesthesia Care Unit and Out Patient Surgery.
- Honorary Members: Retired Perioperative Registered Nurses who want to remain up to date in Perioperative Nursing.
ORNASCO Objectives include:
- To promote the ORNAC Standards of Perioperative Nursing Practice.
- To enhance the professionalism of perioperative registered nurses.
- To provide opportunities for continued professional growth and development to members at 6 meetings a year and a one or two day conference organized by ORNASCO members.
- To financially support active members who wish to participate in other educational opportunities such as other regional conferences, provincial, national or world conferences.
- To provide perioperative nurse members with the opportunity to present their work/research at bi-monthly meetings for the membership.
- To promote the opportunity for members to network with colleagues in the region.
- To represent the interests of the perioperative nurses in the region at the provincial level.
- The annual membership fees are reviewed and set yearly by the executive and approved by the membership.
- The annual membership fee is due in July of each year at the annual summer Pot-Luck Meeting. New members are accepted at any time throughout the year.
- The membership year extends from July to June to coincide with the provincial membership at ORNAO.
- A portion of each active membership fee is contributed to the Provincial (ORNAO) and National (ORNAC) Associations
- Membership fees paid to ORNASCO automatically ensures membership and representation in the periOperative Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (ORNAO) and the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC).
- Membership fees pay for each members subscriptions to the provincial "OR Spotlight" Newsletter and the national "Canadian Operating Room Nursing Journal"
Each year ORNASCO has 6 membership meetings, including 1 potluck meeting and one dinner meeting. Each meeting consists of a business meeting and an educational component. The educational component is arranged to meet the learning needs of the membership.
Every autumn, ORNASCO holds an educational conference. The 2005 conference was held at Fern Resort, Orillia.